The Faculty of Science (FNWI) at University of Amsterdam (UvA) invites applications for a tenure-track teaching position (UD) in interdisciplinary origins of life, in strong connection with the Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API). The candidate would teach across science programs and conduct research programs in the areas of origins of life.
Job Reference: 7499
Application deadline: 31 January 2022
Starting date: March 2022
Where: Faculty of Science (FNWI) at University of Amsterdam (UvA) (Netherlands)
Duration of the contract: 18 month of evaluation, then permanent
Salary: range from a minimum €3.807 to €5.211 gross per month based on full-time employment gross annual amount
You are expected:
- to coordinate the development and implementation of a faculty-wide Origins InterSpecial initiative and participate to teaching and coaching students;
- to be active in the fundamental and/or applied research related to our origins of life initiative, publishing in high level international journals;
- to teach origins of life related courses at the BSc and MSc levels across the faculty of science;
- to foster the connections between science and research;
- to present your work at leading conferences;
- to be willing to build up a research group of internationally outstanding level;
- to be willing to support potential rollout of the Origin InterSpecial initiative to other interdisciplinary areas;
- to be active in the attraction of external funding;
- to supervise students, including BSc, MSc and PhD as well as postdocs;
- to actively contribute to departmental duties.
- A PhD in Astronomy, Astrophysics, Physics, Planetary Science, Chemistry, Biology or Informatics, or related fields.
- An affinity to work on origin of life initiatives and to teach on the related topics.
- An affinity for interdisciplinary work and functioning in a team.
- The ability and willingness to teach and conduct research.
- Demonstrable willingness to perform administrative, organizational tasks, and to build up curriculum activities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to work on public outreach.
- Teaching experience will be a strong plus.
- Experience in interdisciplinary teaching, course development and/or teaching material to diverse students will be an advantage.
- The applicant is expected to obtain teaching qualification BKO level within two years and a SKO level within five years.
How to apply
Applications shall be submitted no later than 31 January 2022 through the application form linked in the job announcement page.
Please read the detailed instructions in the Call for Applications or contact the reference people indicated in the job offer.