The scientists who have proposed the PLATO mission to ESA in 2008 joined to form the PLATO Mission Consortium who has been selected by ESA to perform the Assessment and Definition Studies between 2009 and 2011.
A reorganised PLATO Mission Consortium has supported the mission during the M3 competition phase, and, after the selection of PLATO for the M3 launch slot done by ESA in Feb 2014, is engaged in the Phase B2 study of the PLATO Payload, of the PLATO Data Center, and is supporting ESA in the the refinements of the science objectives, the analysis of the instrument performance, the choice of the fields and targets to be observed, and in preparing the tools for data analysis and follow-up observations.
The PLATO Mission Consortium (PMC), led by a Principal Investigator, is responsible to provide the mission with:
- Science Data Center
- Science Preparation and Exploitation Management
Specifically, the PMC will hold the following responsibilities:
- Develop, build, integrate, verify, calibrate and deliver to ESA the PLATO payload
- Provide post-delivery support including integration, test and calibration at payload module and spacecraft level
- Provide to ESA the necessary support for commissioning, instrument in-flight calibration and operations during the routine phase
- Provide the PLATO Input Catalogue
- Develop, integrate, verify and deliver to ESA the modules for the generation of the Level-1 products.
- Generate the Level-2 products and deliver them to ESA for distribution and archival
- Support ESA in the organisation of the ground-based observations programme
- Together with the Ground-based Observation Programme (GOP) team, define the observation strategy and provide the Level-3 products of the Prime sample.
Members of the PLATO Consortium
Scientists from 23 countries contribute to the PMC: Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and USA.
The ESA Member States are responsible for funding the PMC.
PMC individual members are given in the Consortium Members page.