Announcement for the opening of an international call to hire multiple researchers in Stellar, Exoplanet and Data Science for the PLATO mission at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) in Goettingen, Germany
The Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) in Goettingen (Germany), invites applications for several research positions in stellar physics and exoplanet science in preparation for the PLATO mission. The positions are available in the Solar and Stellar Interiors Department starting as soon as September 2020 for a period of two years, with the possibility of an extension. The start date is negotiable. In case of travel restrictions due to the coronavirus crisis, remote work may be possible at the beginning of the employment period.
Starting date: as soon as September 2020
Applications: from 24 August 2020 until the positions are filled
Where: Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS)
Duration of contract: 24 months (with a possible extension)
Salary: according to the German public salary scale TVöD E13 (E14 in exceptional cases).
A number of observational and theoretical projects are available:
- Stellar activity and rotation: starspot modeling guided by solar observations;
- Methods of asteroseismology: analysis of power spectra of stellar oscillations using classical and machine learning techniques;
- Exoplanets: analysis of transit light curves using classical and machine learning techniques.
The eligible candidates will have a background in physics, astrophysics, fluid dynamics, applied mathematics, data science, or machine learning and should have a Ph.D. or M.Sc. in physics, astrophysics, geophysics, applied mathematics, scientific computing, or computer science.
For further information, please refer to the Call for applications.
How to apply
Applications have to be sent as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org, with ”St2020″ in the subject line, and should include:
- a cover letter (less than two pages) summarizing the candidate’s achievements and interests (mention one or more of the topics listed above),
- a curriculum vitae,
- a full list of publications highlighting the candidate’s two best publications,
- the names of three references,
- a proposed start date.
Candidates should arrange for at least one letter of recommendation to be emailed to the same address.